Saturday, July 30, 2011

ESB Irish Visitor

After Legs left to become a showjumper, I spent some time just working on my own TB, until it became apparent that something was not quite right with him, he no longer wanted to jump they way he used to, so after some discussions with Vanessa Hawkins, it was agreed that I needed another horse. I decided to take home ESB Irish Visitor (Tor), a 17hh chestnut gelding by ESB Irish Edition, and Tor has now been with me for 3 1/2 weeks. My first experience with him was attempting to get him off a straight loader, as he had never travelled in one, and didnt know how to get off the float!! Eventually we took the centre divider out and let him turn himself around as it was getting late and I needed him to see his new paddock before dark!

Other than that, Tor has so far been a dream to work with. He has the sweetest temperament, and is always wanting to please, which makes life so much easier. We have since done some float training, and although it takes a bit of encouragement and time, he now backs off the float. I have just been doing a lot of basic flat work with him, working on our leg yields, and starting shoulder in, turns on the haunches (he already does turn on the forehands) and a lot of long and low work. Hopefully he will be out and about in a few months time, just at some small events, and in the meantime, a lot of training and taking him out to new places :)

No comments:

Post a Comment